February 4, 2012

Sausage Bean Chowder


Total comfort food right here.  My mom used to make this, and eating it this week totally reminded me of her.  She was a big soup maker.  One thing I'm starting to wish I knew with all of her recipes was where she got them from.  I wish I knew who gave them to her, or if she just came across it in a magazine, or if she just came up with it herself, because she always had those ingredients on hand.  My grandparents raised their own pigs to kill for sausage, so my parents always had their own sausage from them.  So maybe she made this because she always had sausage available to her? 

Well, I had sausage from my grandparents to use when I made this this week too!  Delish!!!!!!! 

This is a super simple recipe. 

Sausage Bean Chowder

1/2 lb sausage (I probably used a little more than that)
1 can of kidney beans (you could use 2)
1 16 oz. can tomatoes
4 c. water
1 small onion diced
1/2 large green pepper diced
2 large potatoes diced

1 bay leaf
1/2 tsp. garlic salt
1/2 tsp. seasoned salt
1/2 tsp. thyme
pepper to taste

1.  Brown sausage, drain.

2.  Combine all ingredients EXCEPT beans.  Simmer covered about 35 minutes.  Add beans and cook covered for 20 more minutes. 

3.  Enjoy!  Goes great with Cornbread...

4.  Notes:  Corn can be substituted for potatoes.  The sausage my grandparents makes is a little spicy, making this soup have a little heat.  The kind of sausage you use will determine the flavor of the chowder.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...